There were no injuries. According to Fire Chief Terry Johnson the fire was determined to be accidental in nature, caused by improperly discarded smoking materials placed in a brick opening at the rear door.
Johnson said at this time the restaurant is closed until repairs can be made and the Kansas Department of Health and Environment can provide an inspection to reopen. It is estimated it will take four days to make needed repairs and inspections.
Firefighters got the call at 4:12 p.m.. When they arrived on scene they encountered smoke hanging near the ceiling. The smoke smelled of burned wood mixed with synthetic materials. The fire was located in a wall adjacent to the rear exit of the structure in the kitchen area. There was a four inch hole in an outside brick facade where flames and smoke were emerging. The back side of the hole was sheet rock. Fire crews exposed the inner wall and removed the burning insulation. A hose line was used to extinguish the flames and embers.
The point of origin for the fire was just behind the exterior hole in the brick and had spread both up and down the wall. Sheet rock was removed to expose all of the fire damage. Also, some ceiling tiles were removed to check for extension and remove for trapped smoke. Johnson noted that, fortunately, the fire was discovered by an employee before it made it to the ceiling.