According to the Manhattan Fire Department at 4:43 on March 2nd, the Manhattan Fire Department was dispatched to 1805 Claflin Road, Wefald Hall KSU, for a report of a structure fire . Upon arrival, crews found a 7 story dormitory with nothing showing. Upon investigation, firefighters determined that a fire in a fourth floor dorm room had been extinguished by the building sprinkler system. Crews shut down the sprinkler system and performed salvage and overhaul of the room. Seventeen firefighters responded on six fire apparatus with the last units clearing at around 7:35. All occupants of the building were able to evacuate the building without injury.
Fire loss is estimated at $3500 to contents and $5000 to the structure. There was some additional damage due to water running between floors that is undetermined at this time. The owner is listed as Kansas State University. The fire cause was determined to be accidental due to a faulty fan.
This fire serves as an example of the importance of installing fire sprinklers in buildings where people sleep. This fire was quickly extinguished which reduced the risk of injury or death to sleeping occupants.
Kansas State University also issued a release on the fire and reported that students have been allowed back into their rooms following the fire. Twenty-four students are being relocated because of water damage to their rooms.
A university employee inspecting conditions after the fire slipped on some standing water and was injured.
Staff with the university’s Division of Student Life are onsite and available for students.